Monday 18 June 2007

Russ Mills Illustrations




Russ Mills graduated from Leeds Met in 1995 and produces both illutrations and moving image works. I found his profile on www.illustrationweb.com and selected these examples from his profile, my favourite being the artist's version of the iconic Queen photo.

To create his distinctive style, Mills uses mixed media and combines the results with elements rendered on the computer. I like the modern but highly textured result. A lot of illustrators produce work that is modern in a slick way, but I like Mills' use of texture in his backgrounds with his realistic characters in black over the top. The limited colours used in each piece also gives draws attention to the use of unusual textures and shapes.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I think the middle image is really powerful. The style, colours and textures in the background help support the tone of the image. I think the monochromatic image of the girl over the back ground creates a stark contrast and help create a dark, dramatic illustration.