Wednesday 27 June 2007

Photo

Taken by Lauren Garland, 16.04.07, Somewhere in London

It doesn't really need much explanation- I just found in amusing and very much a sign of the times. Every high street looks the same with branches of the same chains, here the workmen are reassuring the public without the need for the new business to use any elaborate advertising campaigns. The extreme contrast between the slick, corporate machine that is starbucks and a note written with a finger in dust is an important part of the message.

3 comments:

Anthony Smith said...

This made me chuckle too i must admit. There is a nature now in the big cities that we are becoming like America and Canada where every corner is a coffee shop. I remember this from my last couple of visits to Toronto that the corporate coffee brands have took off in the new lifestyle of city workers etc.

I have been told that there was a time in Liverpool when it was renouned for having a pub on every corner. Now many of these are boarded up or burnt out and now its more likely to find a coffee shop on every street!

BillyWarhol said...

thass Hilarious!!!!!

;))

Heidi said...

This is funny and clever. I know that there were some protests against a satrbucks in our town. Where I live is a historical market town with tudor houses. People objected to it being ruined by such a commercial company with it's identity spoiling the look of the rest of the town. I think in the end they were made to tone down their image in order to be able to locate here.