Sunday 26 August 2007

Sarah Coleman




Having used hand rendered calligraphy in my D&AD award work, I was interested to come across the illustrator and typographer Sarah Coleman. I think the images above demonstrate how wide ranging the application of quirky typography can be. I particularly like the 'chips' image, combining the messy, childlike lettering with the minimalist photography to give a modern yet friendly feel.

The apple shows several different types of lettering and is a nice piece of self promotion. Apples are very symbolic- the first thing that comes to my mind is the poisoned apple in Snow White. The calligraphy makes me think of fairy tales, so I think the image is really effective.

I chose the 'ten' image to show the contrasting styles from the same artist. Here, formal lettering is decorated with hand rendered patterns, giving a different feel to the other images.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

This is kind of similar to someone I looked at on my blog - Marian Bantjes. Think the website is www.bantjes.com if you want to check it out.