Sunday 26 August 2007

New Designers Exhibition- Illustrators


The exhibition was over a month ago, but I've finally got round to photographing the postcards I collected from my favourite illustrators.

Clockwise from top left:
Abi Hollman- taken from her work that is actually a textiles piece where the black lines are threads and the colour sections are pieces of material. Very striking with the bright colours and mix of textured and in a style that seams suited to the subject matter.

Cate Howes- I like her quirky collection of brightly coloured animals, which would probably be popular in a childrens book.

David Bennison- a pencil illustration of a medieval castle viewed from the ceiling. All Bennison's work is very detailed and uses unusual perspectives. I have a lot of respect for the skill involved, but I felt it was perhaps a little to similar to some of Escher's work to be truly original.

Man in a hat- I chose this for the fantastic hand rendered typography (it reads 'illustration to a different beat'). Very sixties flower-power, but given a modern twist with the black and white colour scheme.

Taena Uemura- Another illustrator of animals suited to childrens books. These are much more realistc and executed in much softer colours than those of Cate Howes. I chose this card because of the materials used- childlike watercolours and crudely scribbled colouring pencils which work because of the accurate forms.

Louise Dean- This illustration really stood out because the paler colours look amazing against the background of brown packing paper. I also like the strong middle-eastern feel carried through all elements of the illustration.

Pat Morley- I liked the black, white and grey and the simple forms of this work. Again, simple animal shapes that had been made into a children's book. Very sweet, but is there room for this number of children's illustrators who only draw animals?

No comments: