Monday 9 July 2007

Wall Piano

This is an example of student work from Hon Lam Li (or Patrick as he is known) who graduated from London College of Communications with a BA in Interactive Design.

Patrick used sensors that 'hear' when people touch the wall. When the wall is hit hard, a computer translates this into low notes, whereas a soft touch produces higher notes. The full range of a piano (88 notes) can be produced. I think this is a great idea, and it is really inspirational to see a student produce work that seems quite technically advanced. By doing some research into the relevant technology, I expect many students could have achieved something similar.

Although I think it's a great idea (and I've seen the video, it really works!) I would like it to have been a little more designed- perhaps some colour on the wall, or some typography either introducing the wall piano or giving instructions. It is such a fun idea, I think it should be visually fun as well.

2 comments:

Paddy McEntaggart said...

Looks like a really interesting project, reminded me of something greyworld did. It was called railings, http://www.greyworld.org/

Alissa said...

Great minds think alike! I have mentioned this lovely idea on my blog too. Though I was quite a fan of its simplistic appearance - I guess colour would definitely make it more fun.