Wednesday 25 July 2007

I don't mean to be a feminist killjoy, but...


There has been a lot of hype around the American drama series, Heroes (I know many people will have seen it already but I watched the first 2 episodes on BBC2, so that's what Im judging it on). It's an interesting concept for a program, and the filming is quite impressive considering the relatively small budget for all the stunts. What struck me most, however, was the blatant stereotyping, inparticular the portrayal of the female characters. As the show is supposed to be about a global phenomenon, the makers have had a stab at representing other nationalities, although I wonder whether there are any European, African, Australasian or South American Heroes? But back to my main point- the women.

The male characters have such noble professions as University professor, member of congress and nurse. After two episodes, there are two female heroes and they are...wait for it... a stripper and a cheerleader. Is this a joke? Where did the 21st century go with sexual equality, women in high powered jobs and respect between the sexes? Of course, the two women are both slim, blonde and attractive. I don't have so much of a problem with that (sex sells afterall), nor do I have a problem with stripping or cheerleading. I just can't believe that such a high-profile program set in the present day can get away with ther lead female characters being such blatant sex objects.

Am I wrong? Am I on my high-horse of political correctness at the expense of creative freedom?
Get debating...

2 comments:

Lucy Webb said...

I hadn't noticed this, but it is completely true and you haven't even reached the episode with female hero that lives in a trailer park yet!!

Adam Wilkinson said...

After watching just two episodes, it may seem that the two female heroes introduced are being stereotyped, however, in the case of the stripper, she is also an assassin, which may seem to be a fairly glamourous job if she was male? Future female characters also include a congresswoman, and art dealer, a mechanic and an agent for 'The Company'. Similarly, you could argue that there are plenty of male heroes who have been stereotyped such as the junkie artist, the office worker and the failing traffic cop.

To introduce every hero from every continent in the first two episodes would be quite overwhelming. They are gradually introduced over the course of the series where you will see heroes from other continents.

I agree that the effects are spectacular, but the budget is apparentrly one of the largest given to any tv series. Heroes is, however, an amazing new series to keep you entertained. Hope you enjoy the rest of the series!