Saturday 7 July 2007

Controversial Advert- Royal Ballet


Critics of this advertising campaign by the Royal Opera House to promote the principal dancer of the Royal Ballet have called it 'appalling and tacky'. I disagree with their view that it is unnecessarily 'sexy' and think that it is impactful without compromising the image of the company. I've never been to the ballet, but surely watching groups of athletes move round the stage wearing skin-tight costumes in a darkened hall is quite erotic? Why not use this element to sell it? Yes, the man in the advert is attractive, but the copy is about his strength, not his looks. Also, the colours used are quite masculine with the dark grey of the background reflected in the eye colour and the simple yellow and white of the text. The coat of arms gives a formal and official edge to this poster, although the wording is less formal, using the word 'he's'. I think the word 'Fact' is unnecessary and spoils the shape of the copy and more formal wording might work better for a poster promoting a serious subject matter. However, I really like the concept behind this campaign and it has certainly worked on me by raising my interest in ballet.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I love the copy 'super human,' ballet is a tough sport. The body of a ballet dancer has to be elite, which also is described a super/strong/athletic.

I can’t really see what is tacky about it- from what I can see. Were there further ads?

It is different from the usual ballet dancer performing, and instead a 'sexy' exterior. I don't believe 'sexy' is bad if appropriate! Sex does sell after all.

How is this ad seen? Magazine? Poster? From a glimpse I wouldn’t generally say it’s about ballet, but then again I don’t know what I would say it was about? Perhaps that’s the beauty you look to find out, who is a super human...