Tuesday 4 September 2007

Aubrey Beardsley



I was reading the blog of a deisigner (http://www.wiwimu.blogspot.com/) who mentioned Aubrey Beardsley as an inspiration. I was reminded how much I love Beardsley! Some of my favourite work of his is the illustration and typography in the book 'Le Morte D'Athur'.

Although this was published in Victiotian times, the stylistic devices used clearly reference medieval ideas. Monks used to make intricatley decorated manuscripts such as these in the middle ages, although they often used colour. Beardsley uses black and white to make his pictures dark and atmospheric, the high level of detail adding to these characteristics. I love the heavily gothic calligraphy of 'Book 1, Chapter 1' and all the details in the main body of text, such as using 'v' instead of 'u'.

This work was inspired by styles centuries before it's time, so there is no reason why it can't still be appreciated now.

1 comment:

James & Joe said...

Really nice intricate work.